AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2588 with some corn going through rotor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 9/23/2008 23:53 (#468005 - in reply to #467977)
Subject: Re: 2588 with some corn going through rotor?

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
I really don't know what to say about pulling wires. Our machine has been set up for corn/soybeans so I can't comment on the number of wires should your machine be set up for small grain with different concaves. We don't mess with wires.

I can't think of a reason to advance the vanes for corn but know that retarding them works. I do know guys who advance the vanes for soybeans (I run them in the middle for beans with 25' head) as the goal is to move excess straw material through the machine.

If you want to move things through fast, you tighten the concaves and advance vanes. If you slow the rotor and/or open up the concaves with retarded vanes you can "constipate" the rotor with excess material as it doesn't get out of there. Tough, green soybeans with some immature pods are my biggest challenge for finding the sweet spot.

One way to see how the ears will shell is to take some ears and twist them in your hands or break an ear in half and try to flick kernels off the broken end. If the kernels seem "attached" and don't release, you likely have a tough shelling hybrid and retarding the vanes really seems to help.

When I used to sell seed, I tried to take notes on this as there were still a lot of conventional cylinder combines which had no choice but accept losses with some tough shelling hybrids. Seed companies used to score hybrids for combine shelling ability. Dad used to love certain hybrids that would shell easily and send whole clean cobs out the back of his MF 410. With the high horsepower rotor combines running today and a focus on yield, seed companies don't seem to worry about this characteristic of their hybrids anymore.

If it isn't a kernel release issue ( sometimes finally coming off the cob too close to the discharge/chopper) it could be heavy husks needing more "shaking" which again would be helped with retarded flow vanes. I seriously doubt you will have a power problem from retarded vanes in corn as the feed from a corn head is so much more even than from soybeans that are slug feeding.

Edited by notilltom 9/24/2008 00:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)