AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions about Bale spears.....one design better than another?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 9/23/2008 07:54 (#467231 - in reply to #467162)
Subject: RE: Hay forks

Rich, I build all ours with 4-48" replaceable tapered tines. Set as low as we can in the frame. Space them at 2' centers so you can unload pallets, posts, ton totes. Also use it to load penpack maunure out of sheds.

I even use them to pick up downer cows(living and dead ones). I've even used loader forks to pick up a 2,000lb.+ beef bull that was on the fight in drylot w/footrot. Once he was in the air, there was no fight to him. And I was able to trim and work on his hoof at eye level. (you have to have really fast hyd. to do that, I was using my Bi-directional) Hell nobody can even feed the saddle horses here with out a front end loader! LOL

I even take and spear a ton bale to help push milk tankers, school buses, etc. with out having to hook a chain on to them to pull them out of ditches. This design is the best for us, I even use the fork to clean fence lines of brush to replace fences. It is just overall handy for us. I used to use 2" bar to make them, but they used to get sloppy in pipe socket, and also bend and break them. Since going to the tapered replaceables. I've only broke one in 6-7 years in three forks.

I bale all my hay with netwrap 5'x6' rounds, but buy a lot of 3'x4', 4'x4'too. I will try to take some pics of them, but it might take a couple of days. We are starting to preg. check our desert cattle today, it will take two days and a lot of dust! Want to come help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)