AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harbor Frieght mill drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 9/22/2008 10:16 (#466487 - in reply to #466433)
Subject: Old tools

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Buster, cherry old USA made machine tools are out there. They will be usually be found in posession of a widow that doesn't know what she has and will be ready to get rid of them, for the hauling or maybe a couple hundred bucks or less. Of course, they are like new and have never been used for production. They can be found by looking in the next town over and nosing around. You'll hear the stories if you listen. Usually will need to go to the next town though, because the one you were hunting, was just sold. Expect to hear the same story in every next town. I think old tools are closely related to that cherry Corvette that is owned by either a widow or a jilted spouse. Those two are usually found just one more town away also.

Back in the real world, it isn't quite so easy. It is made harder for a rookie, if you don't really know what you're looking for. Are the ways hardened and not worn more in one place? Is the table or the ways all beat up or full of divots? Leadscrews worn in one section. If looking at a lathe, are the threading gears tight and was it of the type that the threading leadscrew was also used as the carriage feed? A lot of the old iron didn't have hardened ways, so they wore quicker and were susceptible to dings if a careless machinist dropped something on them -- wrench, chuck key, small workpiece; doesn't need to be much to ding non-hardened ways. Improper care and lubrication can also speed up wear on the older machines. If the guy had a grinder mounted on the tool, or used compressed air to clean it, or even had his bench grinder where abrasive could get on the ways when he was grinding with it, the used tool could be worn out and shot long before its time. A five ton beast that's all worn out and sloppy won't turn out anywhere near the quality that a new, lighter, China tool will.

I have a friend who is in to old classic English Motorcycles. I have an old Matchless bike that he badly wants. He wants to buy it but my price is a decent Bridgeport type 9X49 mill. Since he runs in engineer type circles, I figured he'd be able to lay hands on one of those bargains. As bad as he wants my bike, he said if he finds one of the cherry bargains, he's keeping it for himself.

If I was you, and not in a rush, I'd take a look at what Enco Tool has. www.use-enco.com Get on their mailing list, as they will run free freight promotions on some of their tools, from time to time. About once a month, they will also have an email 10% off for web orders. Deduct freight charges and 10% off the already discounted sale prices, and you end up saving some bucks. They sell both China made and also Taiwan made, which is a real step up in quality. THere are also some suppliers who are selling machines with a Made in China base and a Made in Taiwan head. More money, but the business end is better too. Might not make much difference for the average farmer though. If we start with a new machine, I doubt we'll ever wear it out. Start with one that's all ready badly worn and you'll fight with it as long as you use it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)