AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possible to have the Insight log gallons but not acres when turning around (manure application)??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/8/2008 18:42 (#455243 - in reply to #455110)
Subject: RE: Possible to have the Insight log gallons but not acres when turning around (manure application)?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I would think that the amount of manure that is not counted while turning on the ends would be fairly small in comparison to the amount that is counted. I wouldn't think that this would affect the pricing for the job significantly. Is this a dragline or a tank setup? If this is a tank setup, a positive shutoff would be desirable for road travel anyway.

There might be a tricky way of setting up the rig to have two booms when in fact you only have one.

Boom 1 would be a fake boom that would always be ON and be setup with a very small width. Then on the ends the real boom would be shutoff with an implement switch. Because the fake boom would still be ON, the total volume will accumulate, the area would accumulate also but at a very minimual rate due to the very small width.

The implement switch would be wired into the AIM rather than the LCM. The LCM would need the implement jumper. The implement switch would actually be controlling BOOM 2. The Insight could be configured so that the Master is the Master & Boom 1.

Thus when you starting applying you would lower the rig and turn ON the Master. Then two blue indicators would show on the screen. If the real boom width was reduced by the amount entered in for the fake boom, the total width and area should be correct while applying normally.

When you raised the rig on the end, the Master and fake boom 1 would be ON, but real boom 2 would go off since it is connected to an implement switch. The left blue bar would be ON and the right blue bar OFF.

The manure totals would be counted and the area would increase vey slightly. Since they apparently charge by the gallon, being off slightly on the total acres is probably acceptable. Again the acres would only be incorrect for the amount generated while turning on the ends. On a large field I suspect this would be quite minimual.

I just setup a scenario like this on my simulator. I assumed a manure rig 15' wide. I entered in .5' for Boom 1 and 14.5' for Boom 2. On the Run screen shutting off Boom 1 and indicator were always blue, when Boom 2 was ON (normal application) it too was blue. Going to a more extreme pair of 14.99 and .01 did not allow the gallons to accumulate as the width rounded off to Zero.

The downside to this approach is that with automatic control, the system will try to reach the target rate for a .5' width which may not be attainable. The off rate alarm would go off which might be acceptable.

Edited by tedbear 9/9/2008 06:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)