AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AL Insight & grain cart scales??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/5/2008 05:47 (#452153 - in reply to #451840)
Subject: More random thoughts - it's early

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, Ron I am shaking my head a bit. My first thought was that you are getting into the "We've got it and we should use it more line of thinking". I'm not being critical of this line of reasoning since I have been there many times myself. More than once I have thought about some uses for a product other than which the manufacturer had in mind. In a few cases this has actually amounted to something useful.

I know of people who have used a scale with a printer in the grain cart rig to log values for the purpsoes you suggest. My first thought there is that it would seem just as easy to use a notebook and write down the weights.

Concerning manure - Maybe I'm dreaming (very possible) but I thought that at one time Ag Leader had a yield monitoring system that was a modification of a weigh bar system for use with a conveyor.

I thought this was to be used with some type of crop where the crop (Potatoes?) was moved by a conveyor in the harvesting machine. The idea was that the weight of the conveyor was related to the yield. The system was a modification of a grain yield system where the grain is thrown against a weigh cell.

If this was all true it would seem that it might be possible to use the reverse idea in a manure spreader.

If the weight of the spreader at Time T1 = x pounds, and the weight at Time T2 = y pounds then the amount of manure spread between T1 and T2 is x-y pounds. This might be used to created a flow rate per minute. If this flow rate is not in agreement with the flow rate needed to meet the target rate then some corrective action could be taken. The correction loop would be very similar to what is currently being done with liquid or granular modules.

There are several problems with this plan. One being the fact that weighing the load on a moving manure spreader might not be all that accurate, but the main problem is the inconsistency (fertilizer value) of the manure.

This is a major limitation in applying, logging and controlling hog manure with a liquid tank. Here the flow rate is measured by a mag meter (Khrone or others) which creates information much like a flowmeter in a liquid sprayer. This information is used to compute the rate of application and control. Among other problems, the hog manure is unlike commerical fertilizer where the nutrient value and other characteristics are quite predictable and stable.

Edited by tedbear 9/5/2008 05:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)