AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Installing Raven SCS440 for NH3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/22/2008 06:07 (#440536 - in reply to #440067)
Subject: Re: Installing Raven SCS440 for NH3

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The small conxall connector out of the console cable is the flowmeter cable and would absoluetly be needed. This is how the flow information gets to the console with that console cable.

We routinely make custom cables for "both" ends. for this type of situation. In other words we make a console cable that is the correct length for the tractor as well as a product cable that is the correct length.

Generally for 4WD tractors, it is desirable to have the console cable be 18-20' long. This will get the disconnect point to the hitch. Then the product cable can be the correct length from that point back.

The product cables are often 24' long for regular NH3 bars but may need to be longer for chisel plows or field cultivators.

Given the information that the cables are old, I would suggest going with new cables which are the proper length. The style of connections at the hitch point could be the trailer plug with the small conxall connector on the side and also a power wire for powering the ON/OFF valve for the NH3.

The other option is to go with the AMP style connection at the hitch disconnect point. This is the style of connector that is on the back of the Raven 440 already. Using this style of connector was necessary when Raven went to more than three booms (450 etc.) since there were not enough wires available in the trailer plug.

This style of connector at the hitch point is much more desirable since all the connections are in one nice neat package and the connection is more reliable.

Another change that has come about just this season is that Raven has changed the connectors at the ON/OFF and/or control valves for NH3. Raven flowmeters have always used a three pole conxall connector. Now the Raven ON/OFF and control valves use four pole conxall type connectors to connect to the product wiring harness. This requires an adapter or making the product cable to mate with the valves in the first place.

This change was made to improve reliability. It was felt that condensation was entering the valves through the more open design that was used in the past.

Just yesterday I made some harnesses to for a two boom Raven NH3 setup to be run with the Ag Leader Direct Command Liquid Control system. My coworker was working on adapters so that new valves can be retrofitted to older harnesses.

In a two section setup, three ON/OFF valves are needed. These include the Left ON/OFF, the Right ON/OFF and also a Master before these valves. The wiring harnesses include a logical "OR" gate so that the Master is Open when either the Left, the Right or both sides are ON. The Master is closed when both sides are OFF.

I would strongly suggest going with new cables in your situation. You may have enough problems with a used system without adding the possibility of a cable problem.

If ths is an old used system it may include the RFM 55A flowmeter. This style has a metal case that is bolted together with four bolts. This style was fine for spray situations but had many problems with NH3. It has since been replaced. Also the older systems used a blue control valve and a black ON/OFF valve. These too have problems with age.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but the old systems that people pick up at auctions are often plaqued with problems. They can all be "saved" but there may be significant expense.

Edited by tedbear 8/22/2008 11:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)