AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

water hook up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/18/2008 12:31 (#437847 - in reply to #437591)
Subject: RE: water hook up

West Union, Illinois

how difficult is it to hook up to city water ( only going to a new hydrant about 300 feet from main line )? can a beginner do it or are there regulations, inspections, etc. that make it better left to a plumber? any handy hints ( depth of line, type of connections, etc. would be greatly appreciated )
It isn't rocket science, but it does take a bit of common sense.  I think once it exits the meter you can do it yourself.  I'd put the line at least 3 ft deep, probably deeper if possible  If you use black plastic make certqain it is the good stuff.  There is OK stuff, which my friend the plumber calls job security, and the stuff you really want to use which will cost more.  You will need something to anchor your freeze-proof hydrant to and may want to put some pea gravel or similar at the bottom for the drain to go into.

OH!   Be sure and call JULIE Call 811 or 1-800-892-0123 48 hours before you start. Not only is it the law, it's a really good idea.  They will ask for info like address, nearest intersection, etc.  They will give a dig number you will want to write down and keep.

JULIE is very important.  Cacble TV company put in a line in front of my house and failed to register it with JULIE.  When CIPS began replacing light poles the very first hole went square through the middle of the fiber optic.  Mediacom had to stand all the expense because it was their fault.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)