AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freightliner w N-14 won't start
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 8/18/2008 00:40 (#437562 - in reply to #436817)
Subject: Problem found

Well it turns out it was the frame to starter ground cable. Yesterday evening as I was quitting for the day I went to shut the trouble light off & accidently touched the fuel return line that was nearby & noticed it was warm. Just figured it was from the heat of the trouble light. BTW, this line was replaced last year as it was leaking fuel down onto the old starter & had caused a place to eat thru the solenoid plastic & short out inside and was replaced with wire reenforced hyd hose.

This morning my son mentioned that he had worked on the truck after I had left & that after trying to start the truck the fuel hose had gotten so hot that the outer cover had bubbled up in a couple places. I got to thinking that the starter must have been trying to ground thru the metal wire in the hose as it returned into the fuel filter hosing that is bolted to the frame.

I sprayed some PB blaster on the ground stud threads this morning & then went out after dinner to see if I could get the nut & cable off without twisting it off. After some gentle working back & forth of the nut I was able to get it off without twisting off the stud :~)). Boy was it ever rusty & the cable wasn't in the best of shape either. Also manged to get the starter to block ground wire off without breaking anything :~)). Must be my lucky day.....lol

Cleaned the block ground wire up & used a battery post interconnect cable after drilling a new hole in the frame to attach it to. Hooked the batteries back up & it fired right up. 5 yr old grandson was standing nearby & when the truck started he asked "Papaw, are you happy now?" I told him I was tickled to death.

OP, I like your suggestion of running a ground cable from the batteries to the starter instead of using the frame to carry the ground as it is now. I have to go to town to have a new cable made anyway as the jumper I used wasn't as heavy a cable as I would like, 0 vs 00. I know the alternator has a ground wire that goes directly to the starter.

Thanks for all the advice guys
boog
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)