AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Worst models of tractors/combines by company
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 8/4/2006 12:41 (#32614 - in reply to #32585)
Subject: RE: Worst models of tractors/combines by company

The fenders are mounted ON the ROPS. The braces inside the fenders (1968) would drag on the tires if the tires were closer than 63" center to center. I thought about channeling the fenders to fit the ROPS closer but fitting 18.4" tires down 30" rows even centered doesn't give much room for bushy beans.

The 12.4x42 rims came from Colfax Salvage. I don't remember what they were on, I didn't get the centers, just the rims and tires. They have lugs with bolt holes welded to the drop center flat off as far as possible to one side.

I made four plates per wheel, three holes to match the wedge clamp bolts, two to match the Unverforth rims. All 21/32" holes. All lined up to take 5/8" bolts with no reaming. The inside of the wheel center isn't flat, the wedges sat in hollows. My plates are flat with a straight cut on the inner edge. I'd have to take out a lot of steel from the plates with a torch to fit on the inside of the wheel center. I put the rim lugs on the insides of the plates. Then I moved the wheel centers until the wedges hit the taper of the axle. Getting them out again is going to be a real pain.

If I'd bought custom rims they wouldn't have gone any further in.

The 12.4's are 63 or 64" inches center to center which will give more crop clearance though its not centered than the 18.4s.

Time to go mount the sprayer and spritz the foxtail one more time. Pictures maybe later.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)