AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Worst models of tractors/combines by company
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dave Greif
Posted 8/4/2006 12:21 (#32608 - in reply to #32580)
Subject: RE: Worst models of tractors/combines by company

One of the sorriest pieces of green & yellow machinery I have ever seen was my Dad's 1968 John Deere 4020 gas powershift tractor. It was a "gutless wonder" that would just barely outwork our Oliver 88 with M& W pistons in it. In cool to cold weather, there was so much drag in the transmission from the cold oil that it took nearly a mile of driving in 7th gear before it was warm enough to pull itself in 8th gear. The knees broke at the welds on the wide front the first day a loader was installed on it. A bearing went out twice on the small idler gear between the powershift output shaft & the pinion shaft in the final drive. It only went about 1000 hours on its original pistons & sleeves before it was burning 2 quarts of oil per hour. It dropped a valve into a piston. It broke a rocker arm shaft. It would never start easily or dependably hot or cold. I caught my pantsleg on the little projection on the end of the clutch pedal pad & dumped myself on my head. The hydraulic pump always sounds like a barrel of junk rolling down a hill & has had its share of problems. It has a total of 5000 hours on it now & has been so well cared for that it looks like a new one. Too bad it still runs like it did when it was new. Dave Greif
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)