AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problem with JD planter with VRD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/2/2008 23:02 (#370205 - in reply to #370080)
Subject: RE: Problem with JD planter with VRD

Pittsburg, Kansas

When we were using a Raven drive for VR seed we always noticed our population as applied maps had all sorts of "jumpy" noise in the map populations. It worried me that our drive was jumping the speed it turns the shaft around a lot. We physically watched the shaft turn while in operation and it was smooth as silk.

Our JD radar speed jumped all over like you describe. The Raven console speed was using the same radar signal.

My determination was that the JD radar did indeed have a very "jumpy" signal. I think Raven must have anticipated this problem and "smoothed" the signal for its own use to use for the controller function. Thus our drive was running smooth. So why the noise in the maps? Well the AL PF3000 got is speed from the Raven as reported and so the PF was seeing this "jumpy" speed. The PF calculated the population that was being applied using this jumpy speed (even though the tractor and shaft were running smoothly) so mathmatically it was showing very jumpy populations on the as applied map, even though the actual rate being applied was being applied very evenly. Make sense? We quit worrying about our noisy population maps.

In your case, the Greenstar controller may not be smoothing the speed any and actually causing erratic population control. In our case it was only a reporting error, in your case much more of a problem.

We have almost entirely gotten away from using radar on anything important. Just too many things screw its reading up. Go to GPS speed. I always worried GPS speed didn't react quickly enough to changes in speed when accelerating/decelerating.  I sure can't see it visually comparing it to radar units and it is a whole lot better than the Deere radars that would jump around in speed up to a half mph range.

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)