AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strip till question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 4/20/2008 08:11 (#361735 - in reply to #361615)
Subject: RE: strip till question - over view - don't understand your comment about photos

Aberdeen MS
Well, here is a couple with a Dawn hat in them (well 2, but the sequence was shot all at once), and Jim wasn't even in MN when they were taken.

I generally stay away from "brands" when talking about strip till as there are many brands that do just what they are designed to do and do it well. The key is "what they are designed to do".

The design of the Dawn Pluribus is such that when the coulters so their "work", there is very little compression of the wet soil. Once that soil dries out, it basically just crumbles, it does not dry out in clumps.

You can see in the below photo's the ground is chunky, you can't get a "slab" coming off a Pluribus. In the photo with the "fist" clump, a good forensic lab could have pulled my finger/palm print off it. This particular field was planted to beans 3 days later, when the gauge wheels of the planter hit the dried clumps, they fractured into pieces about the size of the push button on a pen.

As far as needing RTK for coming back after stripping. Sales hype from the precision sellers. The worked profile left by the Plurisbus \_/ just really doesn't allow the planter to "jump" out of it unless you are drastically off row. It will be a bit different for me this year as I am going to be using a mounted planter vs a pull type, but I'm not worried too much about staying on track. The photo will show what a 4" piece of elec tape in the front window and a 3 foot piece of metal electric fence post does for guidance.

Edited by Greywolf 4/20/2008 08:15

(51806 beans1.JPG)

(51806 beans unt1.JPG)

(51806 beans wet2.JPG)

(51806 corn3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 51806 beans1.JPG (76KB - 100 downloads)
Attachments 51806 beans unt1.JPG (70KB - 105 downloads)
Attachments 51806 beans wet2.JPG (58KB - 102 downloads)
Attachments 51806 corn3.JPG (58KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)