AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you guys soil sample in strip till?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 4/16/2008 20:35 (#359433 - in reply to #359202)
Subject: Re: How do you guys soil sample in strip till?

Aberdeen MS
That's were the difference lies between your conditions and mine Ed. We can't manage our pH like you can. Our's "here" are alkaline in nature, not acidic.

It makes for a whole new ball game trying to grow soybeans when you have a 40 with an average pH of 8.1 and you stayed OUT of the hot spots when you pulled the probes.

Again, like I replied to Mike, I think the word "greatly reduced" is taken in wrong sense of the word. That may work for a year or two to pull extremely high residual levels down into a high medium to better maximize nutrient dollar efficiency. But over the long run, I won't disagree on drastic cuts and still staying profitable. It's the level of management one is willing to accept and apply.

When I do my comparisons, and what I spoke on at the Conservation Tillage Conference, I used figures that reduced the broadcast build recs by 20% o for my savings comparisons, nothing more. Well, I also offered by strip tilling and banding/indexing the nutrients, a saving of commercial application was also in those figures. Applicaton fees "here" for 500 acres of cropland amounts to $2500 per year. Not a lot really, but it adds to the total savings.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)