AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you guys soil sample in strip till?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 4/16/2008 20:20 (#359427 - in reply to #359273)
Subject: Re: How do you guys soil sample in strip till?

Aberdeen MS
I don't think we have to disagree on very much Mike.

When I read the posts over the course of time dealing with this subject, I see a pattern. George's data says 20 - 50% reduction MAY be achieved. With a removal vs build program, you are almost at 20% reduction right there. But what I see is replies that focus on the 50% ( at least that's my interpretation of them).

It is a system that may not work for every grower, or the system may not work for every field. I have one field that has an average pH of over 8. Will the reduction work on that field like it does on some of my other fields with a more normal 7 - 7.2 pH????? Probably not.

I'm forced into "experimenting" on some of these ideas by being in the EQUIP program. My test levels were such that to stay in compliance, I can not apply any P or K because my levels are up that high. And I'm limited to .75 units of N/bu of yield goal. What is going to be the results??? I don't know.... I have one more season before I"m out of that restriction. It will be an interesting experiment to say the least.

It just might be to maximize the efficiency from here forward, maybe a medium test results will give the best economic return long term. I don't know the answer to that.

I can provide the link to the blog page that George and several others from the U post on. I can provide you with Jodi DeJongs email that you can contact them directly. I don't have their permission to post them publicly. So I won't just out of courtesy.

I will stand on my thoughts though that we are in new era that we haven't seen before. How we handle it is up to us. And each and every grower will handle it differently as to how it suits them and their needs.

Like I said before, I only offer my thoughts and ideas and how I arrived at them. If they work for someone else then my time and effort of posting has paid off. If not.... at least for myself, I have thought through them more thoroughly and put them in print and might just revise my "internal" thinking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)