AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For you NE guys---- Your DOT did it again....but it came out OK........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 3/27/2008 19:12 (#343253 - in reply to #343182)
Subject: Now, if you're buying permits from IA to come into IA........that's a good deal...........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

IA needs the money........so I think you should actually DOUBLE the number of permits purchased!!!

As I understand it..........if the state into which you are going has a reciprocity agreement with the state you are coming from.........so that the target state recognizes the source state's farm plates just as if the target state issued their own special plates......................

then when you get off the interstate, and onto the target state's highways, and then become subject to that state's particular rules..............

AND you are hauling your own ag goods......which is why the farm plates are allowed......ie not in violation of the special provisions of that plate........

.then you will NOT need any special permits........with respect to being legal using a farm plate in that target state.

Now.......you would still need any permits necessary to go wide or heavy, etc etc.

Obviously, if you were a paid hauler..............say hauling for Plowboy, and coming into Iowa to buy some of our famous extra special corn..........then the farm plates would be not legal---------just as they would probably not be legal in KS if you were using them on a truck that was actually hauling as common carrier.......merely because you are in violation of the restrictions on the plates.

Another example would be..........Iowa allows the purchase of a 32ton license by farmers, which allows the farmer (special plated rig) to haul 40 ton legally, since the farmer special plate allows a 25% overage on the purchased license........buy 32, get 8 free............if we were hauling commercially, then, we would have to actually purchase licenses for 40ton per truck, to haul legally 80,000 in Iowa.

So.........if we were hauling total lbs of 80,000 in, say, NE...........over a 32ton license..........and the special farm plates were not recognized by NE...........we would be automatically 8 tons overloaded on the license..............I don't know what the situation would be on the axles.

(In our case, the rigs were empty at the time of the supposed infraction......so the enforcement guy was merely hollering that the licenses were not valid at all........apparently.   The fact that he was in error anyway tells me we really don't know for sure what he was thinking that we were in violation of.

So.......direct response to your question..........if you're hauling your own ag goods on a special KS plate..............and KS has been nice to Iowa in the past so IA recognizes KS special plates just as if IA issued them--------ie reciprocity-----------then you need not buy permits.

I would call IA DOT   800 925 6469.

(I sent an email to NE DOT thanking them for the good-guy treatment------they deserved that......they did good, and their upper mgt should hear about it..............also sent copy of that email to IA DOT Enforcement so they knew of the situation-----recall IA DOT did not know NE rules when I first called IA to find out the situation.........so I bet I will get a heckling call from one of the guys at IA DOT who likes to jab me.........but the point is that IA will now know and hopefully will be a little sensitive to this special plate issue.....................so you ought to be able to call the 800 Enforcement number re KS and get a decent answer.)

Now.........one of the reasons that you as a Southern Boy might have had to buy the permits was, well,.............no, KS did fight with the Union didn't it! 

(heh, heh......)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)