AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wood vs. Steel Framed shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 3/14/2008 20:14 (#334084 - in reply to #333987)
Subject: RE: Wood vs. Steel Framed shop

I generally like steel over wood for most projects but I'm leaning towards a wood shop when the time comes.  It won't be a pole building however, it will be stick built on top of a concrete wall.  My plan is to use 2x8s on 16" centers and the center stud will be doubled up where the truss will sit above it (will already be doubled up at the ends of each wall section).  Trusses will be bolted into a steel mount bolted to the top of the walls so they will be super strong.  On the outside of the walls horizontal 2x6s on 24" centers will allow for steel siding to be attached and 1 1/2" insulation board between the 2x6s will add extra insulation.  On the inside the lower 8' will be covered with 3/4" OSB with horizontal 1x4s on 2' centers above that all covered with steel so the walls will be extremely solid and the OSB around the bottom will make it easy to attach stuff to the walls.  The way my building will be built probably won't be any cheaper than a steel building but it will be much better built than a pole building and should be at least as strong as a steel building but with alot more insulation and the stud walls won't take very long to errect.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)