AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drill spacing for wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dbmaguet
Posted 2/25/2008 08:26 (#318787 - in reply to #318595)
Subject: RE: Drill spacing for wheat?

Ste. Rose, MB

Well, Mad Max, what kind of packers do you have? If you've got the 5.5" semi pneumatic that flexi offers, go for the 5" openers. My friend uses a single shoot 70ft Flexi-Coil "slim" drill, 10" spacing, 5" openers & has the best of crops in my opinion. I think that if you're not doing no-till, that it is the way to go. If your blend is seperated from the seed, I can't see why it would be a problem. What's your review on the 5000 drill? That was my second choice last year when looking for air drills, but found a brand new 1820/1910 combo sitting on a lot in Saskatchewan. (was looking for a smaller drill... hard to find in the prairies!) Ended up buying a old 4WD after, so I guess wer could have went with a wider drill, but I'm happy with what we have.

We have been switching to min-till & the only reason I never got the 5" openers were because the packers on the drill were only 3" rubbers. I wanted 4" minimum but everything else on the drill was exactly what I was looking for, so, we went with it & didnt regret it. We did however try a putting two, 4" stealth openers on the drill, to see if we would see any difference in row width in the field, we couldnt tell the difference between the 3" or the 4".

Do you think that the Dutch openers are worth getting instead of the Flexi-coil's? Had looked at them last year but the carbide tip is pricey & we had spent a lot already, so we went with the flexi opener... I think seed distribution is still better than just having a spoon as an opener.

(P5100038.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P5100038.JPG (42KB - 104 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)