AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talking about Grease.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 2/23/2008 21:38 (#317720 - in reply to #317704)
Subject: Re: Talking about Grease.....

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
We have been using Mobil 1 synthetic grease for 15+ years and like how well it seems to last. Parts seem to last about forever, and the stuff has terrific film strength . We used to have a lot of "torque lock" vibration when turning under load, with the articulated 4 wd tractors with lithium or moly grease in the drive shaft slip joints. with Mobil 1 synthetic you never feel that. Have not had a tractor U joint or slip joint fail since going to synthetic grease.
No wear issues with the combines using synthetic grease.

We Have always used TSC "special moly" grease on the 750 drills because it seems to be extra thin for a # 2 grease, and works well in the electric guns in cold weather, and is cheap for bearing flushing compared to synthetic. I have always had problems with the TSC special molly being full of air bubbles, causing some gun air lock problems.
I read that moly is only an advantage in conditions where the part gets dry of grease, that is never a factor with the 750's where I constantly over grease the thing to flush dirt out of those open sleeve bearings and opener disc seals, so this spring I am trying a case of plain TSC lithium grease to see if any less air bubbles problems and to see if the wear rate changes. If the lithium grease works as well, it cost 1/2 as much as the special moly grease.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)