AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The telephone call started with..."Well, we had a little mishap today........"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 2/8/2008 23:33 (#305073 - in reply to #304814)
Subject: RE: The telephone call started with..."Well, we had a little mishap today........"

Sunnyside, WA
Sounds like you and the employees were pretty lucky.

We've been through enough in the last year to know exactly how you felt. I still remember the call I got last year, Feb 1, at 10 pm as I was taking a shower. I still get chills.

Anyway, all I can offer are a couple observations from my experiences.

Hold mandatory monthly safety & training meetings. I don't care if you have 1 or 100 employees. It gets everyone together at the same time. Always have one safety topic and 3-5 training topics, and they can be simple. Amazing the conversations that start from these few points. I have a few websites with safety topics and I was also surprised to get a large packet with one page safety pages from our Cat dealer.

We also document all training for individual employees. At first I wasn't so keen on this idea, but it has turned out to be very positive. Its very easy to glaze over or even forget something, but if its all written down, both the person being trained and the person doing the training don't forget nearly as much. Most employees didn't grow up learning the same skills as most of us did.

May not have helped much, but after a day like you had, it can't hurt!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)