AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The telephone call started with..."Well, we had a little mishap today........"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 2/8/2008 17:54 (#304814)
Subject: The telephone call started with..."Well, we had a little mishap today........"

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

This farm safety crap.............is a real live issue..........doesn't hurt for all of us to think about it.

I posted three pictures below of the 1586 tilted waaay up...........looks like the axle broke, but that is really the angle of the camera phone, etc.

The call went on to say that one guy was backing up to the stock shredder (which has a really short tongue) to hook and move it out of the shop bldg, and Main Man 1 was going to pin him.

(Although we have cussed and discussed at various times the concept of backing up at a slight angle to the implement/wagon, so that the pin guy has a little more room to back out if the tractor guy's muddy shoes slip on the clutch, etc. etc..............like anything, no one takes it to heart until an oooppssss occurs.)

Tractor guy was backing up straight to the shredder------and, in all fairness, it was tight, 'cause I looked........and an angle would have been difficult-----not impossible, but difficult.  (Note the position of the tractor now.)

Main Man 1 said the tractor just kept coming back, hit the tongue, "I yelled at Mxxxxx to stop, but it just kept coming!  Finally, Mxxx got it whoaed, but only after the rear tire went up onto the shredder, and about tipped the 1586 over."

Main Man 1------skinny kid built like a leather rope and just as tough-----said that he literally leaped over top of the shredder to get out of the way.  Said that when Mxxxx finally was able to get out of the cab, he looked like he had just swallowed a rat, and was about to puke........and was hollering for Main Man 1, since he had not seen him jump, and thought he was under the tire.   (Also said it was almost worth the price of the trip to have seen the look on Mxxxx's face!)

Turned out a 3/8inch bolt in the clutch linkage had broken.........and even though the tractor was throttled way down-----I finally threatened death to anyone who wasn't at idle when backing up---------but that 1586 is a good horse, whomped to 215 on the dyno, so it will literally crawl up about anything if given the chance..........1st good tractor I ever bot............the tractor literally kept on backing up onto the shredder.

(And, although they all looked me in the eye and said the tractor was idled down................I think the term "idled down" is defined in the eye of the beholder.)

So..........some good lessons were learned, and by pure chance some nasty situations were avoided.........all in all a positive...............I guess.

Note the left front tire--------off the ground.

Stay safe............at least when the wife throws something at you, you probably already (or should already) know its coming----------a broken bolt seems to be usually unexpected.

Edited by jakescia 2/8/2008 18:00

(1586 (Small).jpg)

(1586 2 (Small).jpg)

(1586 3 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1586 (Small).jpg (20KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments 1586 2 (Small).jpg (22KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 1586 3 (Small).jpg (21KB - 124 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)