AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rural High Speed Internet again??????????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

99guy
Posted 2/8/2008 12:42 (#304648 - in reply to #304427)
Subject: EVDO

North Central MO
I am using EVDO Alltel today as I read the forum. Have a phone added to family plan that stays tethered to Desktop and internet connection sharing turned on over home wireless network. Several laptops sharing one EVDO connection. Speeds here are 1000 down and 120 up. Way faster than dial up. Cradelpoint is shipping a new wireless router now that will accept a tethered usb EVDO phone or express card ... has a wan port too .... very slick or so it sounds.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2259/63/

I'll be adding one of those as soon as available and can then drop the desktop that has to be on 24/7 for internet sharing. We have been on a wireless isp ... never wanted the problems associated with satellite, our EVDO is better (speeds and reliability) than our wireless isp can do. No other options here ie cable or dsl.

I went with the tethered phone instead of express card to save some monthly charge. Phone on fam plan 10 bucks ... unlimited hi-speed EVDO 25 bucks ... quick reliable connection and no FAP for a total of $35... priceless.......

The same connection through Alltel with the card will cost ya $59 .............. makes no sense. Our tests show speeds are same as the card although sales person will not tell ya the same. Get a 15 day free trial to test it out with Alltel.

check out ........ http://www.dslreports.com/forum/alltelw ........... at dslreports.com

I am only 1/4 mile from tower ........... your mileage may vary ................ good luck ...............

ps ................. it's fun to surf while on a road trip .............. as a passenger of course ....... try that with your satellite connection

Edited by 99guy 2/8/2008 12:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)