AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vapor Barrier and Paper Backed Insulation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 2/8/2008 05:05 (#304336 - in reply to #304240)
Subject: RE: Vapor Barrier and Paper Backed Insulation

Iowa
Doesn't hurt a thing. Did you "stud in" your walls? You can buy rolls of insulation the full width wide to span the entire distance between poles. Warmer and easier, Take no shortcuts, poke insulation in EVERYWHERE, Be a fanatic on making the structure air-tight. You will be amazed how little it takes to heat your new shop, especially if you don't open the door too much. It will feel like it is air-conditioned in the summer if you only open the door up early in the morning, I suggest a window or walk door at the rear for ventilation. When we sweep in the wintertime, we open the rear walk door and raise the overhead door a couple of inches--it really helps clear out the dust. Also works to let out diesel smoke, etc,
Are you putting in an ofice? I would highly recc it. I had a small one in the corner (wall it in or everything will blow off your desk) for years, and recently added on a BIG one which I love, but a 10 X 10 or so is a start if you are low on space or money. You can always add a "lean-to" later for a big one and save your floor space now. Above my old small office in a corner has been a nice place to store items used only seasonally, like planter meters, spray pumps, etc. A loft above the workbench is a GREAT place to store things as well. WE go up in ours many times a day. Surface-mount your electric--cheaper insurance, easier to alter, Rodents and nails can't hurt it like buried. Everybody has a different opinion on heat. I felt I'd use the money that infrared or in-floor cost to build a bigger shop and just use forced air. I have NEVER regretted it. With TONS of insulation, it will be warm regardless, and I have never felt cold on a creeper laying under something. Extremely air-tight is the key. CONGRATS!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)