AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Cow Milking
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dave-ECIA
Posted 1/24/2008 12:22 (#291760 - in reply to #291688)
Subject: Re: Old Cow Milking

We're calving now too, on purpose.

Right now, they're getting 30# of grass hay, 1# of 34% supplement, and 8# of corn. The calves are filling up, but the cows will lose a little condition during these cold spells, gain a little on the warmer days.

A couple thoughts. I'd guess there is less corn in the field now than you may think. That's probably why they aren't going out there. Cows in decent condition can handle quite a bit of cold, but if there's no reason to go out there (corn), they won't.

For the weather we are having now, and the fact they are thin and nursing, you'll have to add energy. Additional corn or energy source in the diet will probably be necessary. I don't know the exact figures, but a cow needs something like 30% more energy just to maintain in the cold weather we're having here. Add to that they are nursing, and you may have to increase that to 50%.

I'd pull the supplement tubs and add extruded beans and additional corn to the mix. The oil from the beans will give them a "slower burning" energy source than the tubs. Basically, you're feeding them sugar to provide energy with the tubs. It's quick energy, but doesn't last.

Take it for the free advice it is.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)