AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GreenSeeker Technology
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

catgps
Posted 1/22/2008 17:08 (#289857 - in reply to #289435)
Subject: RE: GreenSeeker Technology

We tested the greenseeker units on our side-dress applicator and were not impressed with the results.

The first downside is exactly what you had asked about the N-Rich strips. According to one of the leading fertilizer manufacturing agronomy staff this N-Strip would have to be placed at time of planting to get full utilization and to have an effect on the crop at the time of side-dressing. There is also a decision to be made of what is your ideal rate for N-Utilization without wasting money on this strip and also having an environmental impact. Also they suggest having a strip for every variety planted in each field. We ran into an issue with split planter trials and being able to have multiple N-Rich strips in these fields. It was a lot of additional planning and time to get this setup.

The second issue that we ran into with a side-dress applicator was the fixed height of the units on the toolbar. They recommend having the units 24" above the crop for ideal application and mapping. We have a lot of variation in the height of our crop based upon the terrain (high ground- shorter corn and lower-ground- taller corn) and also it takes about 2 weeks to complete our side-dress application and the crop height changes from the first to last day of application. We found ourselves wanting to manually adjust the height of the units per field which required a new calibration with an N-rich strip.

If you would like to see pictures of our toolbar drop me an email and I can forward them to you.

My .02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)