AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Branding......waste of time anymore?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 1/17/2008 17:42 (#285520 - in reply to #285439)
Subject: RE: Branding......waste of time anymore?

Colby, Kansas
I guess its what your used to, I couldn't imagine running cattle without brands. Nebraska varies with location, for the most part the western 2/3 of the state is located in a brand inspection area, the exception our neighboring county, Furnas county, also located catty-corner to Rich. I asked my granddad about that once, his reply was that there were enough cattle thieves in Furnas county that they fought it and fought it until they found a way to be exempted.

Even if the laws weren't in place we would continue the practice, cost effective, and works well to quickly settle disputes and route cattle to where they belong. All barns in our area employ an inspector on-site during sale days, also common to inspect fats heading to market, especially if the names on the brand do not exactly match the names on the check to be cut (example dad's brand on my brothers cattle)

Nebraska Brand Committee - http://nbc.nol.org/index.html

As the countryside becomes more sparse, and cattle thefts are on the rise, maybe we'll see more brand inspection measures put in place?

Nebraska post what their activites have resulted in, I think the record speaks for itself in terms of why brand inspection should be mandatory.

August 2007

Total Value Recovered for August 2007: $154,717.64

Area II recovered 57 estrays
Area III recovered 52 estrays
Area IV recovered 72 estrays
Total 181 head for 58 owners
Reported missing: 31 head for 8 owners

July 2007

Total Value Recovered for July 2007: $418,940.48

Area II recovered 344 estrays
Area III recovered 63 estrays
Area IV recovered 34 estrays
Total 441 head for 64 owners
Reported missing: 64 head for 10 owners

Lucas

Edit: Colors on the map represent different inspection districts for field reps. White is a non-inspection area.

Edited by LHaag 1/17/2008 17:46

(NE BrandInspArea.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NE BrandInspArea.JPG (43KB - 363 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)