AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

outback and raven
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/30/2007 08:25 (#270889 - in reply to #270383)
Subject: Reply to John's Post

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The cable pictured would make sense to me. This is a cable that could be used with a Raven console and a Dickey John Radar gun.

The Dickey John Radar gun needs 12V to operate but only 5V is available from the Raven console. The red wire gets 12V in from some outside soure - the 5V pin to the Raven is not connected to anything. This prevents the 12V backfeeding issue that I mention above.

For those who may be curious - The wiring pattern for the 4 pole AMP connector as used with Dickey John Radar and others is as follows: Pin 1 - Ground, Pin 2 - Signal from the Radar Gun and Pin 3 - 12V to power the Radar Gun.

Outback apparently made a cable to hook their equipment to Planter Monitors etc. that used the Dickey John wiring pattern and connectors. Thus using the Raven to Dickey John adapter with that cable as shown, would be a solution for situations where a Raven Console was to be used with an Outback GPS.

Some may be wondering about Pin 4 in the DJ wiring harness. Pin 4 is sometimes used and sometimes not. Pin 3 is connected to Pin 4 in a Standard Dickey John Radar Gun. Thus when power is present on Pin 3 "going into" the Radar Gun it would be present on Pic 4 "coming out" of the radar gun. In certain situations, this pin is used to tell a device (planter monitor etc.) that a radar gun is present.

This was the case with certain somewhat older I-H planter monitors. On startup, the planter monitor "looked for" 12V coming back on Pin 4, if 12V was present, the Monitor assumed that it was hooked to a true radar gun and behaved properly. If 12V was not present, the Monitor assumed it was connected to a ground speed sensor and behaved in that fashion. This scheme was fine until people started making all kinds of adapters and splitters. Without having Pin 4 "hot", the planter monitor would not behave correctly with a radar gun.

I'm guessing that the Outback cable from the GPS to the 4 pole AMP connector has Pin 4 powered hot just in case the device (planter monitor etc.) is looking at that Pin.

The Raven 440 being used probably needs to be "new" enough to have the SP1/SP2 choices in the initial programming. SP1 is used with the slower devices mostly commonly - magnetic wheel sensors. SP2 is used with the faster devices such as Radar. Since the Outback cable is designed to replace a true radar gun then the SP2 choice would be appropriate.

If the Raven console does not have the SP1/SP2 choice a update kit may still be available or an external device could be used to "slow down" the signal from the Outback to the SP1 range.

Edited by tedbear 12/30/2007 08:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)