AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storing grain in Oil tanks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 9/20/2007 11:05 (#206687 - in reply to #206267)
Subject: RE: Storing grain in Oil tanks

Oklahoma
Matts got the best idea about putting on a angle. We did that on one of ours and love it but the ones we use I think will only hold 800-1000 bushels. Ours are only 10-12 ft across and 12-16 ft tall although we do have one that is 20 ft tall. Each of ours holds roughly one semi load. One of ours is on a stand and 4 are flat storage. My grandfather cleaned them out with some type of cleaner and then painted the inside although the tire deal seems to be the "best" and quickest option. Then he cut doors in them and auger spouts then poured a concrete floor in them. I don't think he ever saw one on a stand. After he passed away we put the last one on a stand.

One concern we have is that after my grandfather passed away and my dad started trying to buy his place, the appraiser said not to use oil tanks anymore due to radioactivity and other chemicals that may be in the metal. Since some states are now heavily restricting environmental wastes, this apprasier thought in the future if the laws changed and we decided to sell it, they could be a liability and have to be "properly disposed of".

The ones you described without a top I have seen for oil but never seen those used for grain storage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)