AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizer removal rates...your thoughts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 9/11/2007 21:02 (#202203)
Subject: Fertilizer removal rates...your thoughts?

Chebanse, IL.....

Do you believe in "removal rates" for figuring fertilizer needs? Not arguing, just wondering.

Seems university folks from various states have come up with figures of the amount of nutrients that a specific crop such as corn, soybeans, or wheat removes from the dirt. I haven't seen any updates lately to the IL figures, so I'll assume they're still the same as many yrs ago. The figures below were taken from U of IL Agronomy Handbook (on-line vers), however I added figures converted to local popular fertilzer products, though triple super (0-46-0) is very rare anymore. You can divide the rates by the example yields here & multiply by your factual yields to see if you're close to recs.

Ill guys say 150 bu (or you can adjust rates up/down for yield per bu) corn removes:

60# P2O5 (= 130# 0-46-0)

42# K2O (= 70# 0-0-60)

They say 50 bus beans removes:

42# P2O5 (= 91# 0-46-0)

64# K2O (= 107# 0-0-60)

They say 80 bus wheat (grain only) removes:

72# P2O5 (= 157# 0-46-0)

24# K2O (= 40# 0-0-60)

I don't have a number to use for 90% wheat straw (= short stubble) removal. It obviously removes something though...everything else does.

So-do you believe in replacing these nutrients if you remove them, assuming you intend to farm that same dirt for another 50+ yrs?

Here's link to IL Handbook fert. pgs:

http://iah.aces.uiuc.edu/index.php?ch=ch11/

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)