AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/4/2007 09:41 (#198117 - in reply to #198096)
Subject: Re: strip till/ridge till/blowing residue

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Howard,

I have seen the same blowing of stalks and residue you have. This is why we try to leave as much cornstalk standing and attached to the ground as possible.

As far as your neighbor's residue blowing onto your place I think that calls for a cup of coffee together and discuss it with them. Many ridge tillers are going from shredding to using a tool called a "stalk puller" (two angled discs that pince the plant at the rootball) in the fall. I wonder if that would mean less blowing or ???. Maybe others here have experience with that tool.

In the photo above this is eastern Iowa and the customer does not shred stalks. In the fall of 2004 the crop ahead of what is pictured growing, I recall he did have some corn go down in a storm. A former ridge tiller himself, he is very concerned about compaction and does try to drive only on cornstalks. Not sure how to answer except the stalks were left as ntact as possible after the previous harvest.

Please keep in mnd there are many different practices going under the name of "strip till".

Best of Luck to you.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)