AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hwdcne
Posted 9/4/2007 09:19 (#198096 - in reply to #198077)
Subject: Re: strip till

Soutwest Ks.
This topic is interesting and as expected many various opinions exist on fertilizer rates. I believe it comes back to yield trials with various fert. rates making sure that the soil is not mined. Jim: I farm in western KS and fight wind blowing residue around in the field. Many times after I have planted into a clean strip, I come back later and residue has sifted over the strip creating a much slower emergence and growth. I am still struggling with what to do about that. Then to make matters worse, I farm close to dedicated ridge tillers who shred their stalks early spring and when the high winds come, some of their residue blows into my standing stalks also creating a problem. Several years ago I had places in the field that the planted seed was under 1' of trash. Not good!!! I noticed the picture you posted of a strip till application, there were very few standing stalks. Was this what the farmer wanted and had he shredded prior to strip till or some other operation to knock the stalks down? I know you see much more strip tilling in one year than I perhaps will see all of my life!! Howard Koehn
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)