AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chicken turkey litter, weeds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Roth
Posted 9/4/2007 11:37 (#198166 - in reply to #197727)
Subject: RE: I agree

It takes many years of application, depending upon how much is applied to reach that point. I have a client who has not applied manure on his farm for 10 years and won't apply for at least a few more due to repeat application at too high of initial levels. This producer has recently switched from the old box style manure spreader that only gives you an 8-15 ft wide band at the rear of the spreader to a old lime spreader which will spread 30-45 ft wide. It allows him to more accurate and consistent application. You would have to check with your local agency on what the rules are in your area for applying too much phosphorus. I would say you could start to see a decrease in yields at 3-4 times the 'cutoff' for levels. In other words, if 100 is the cutoff, you probably won't see anything until 400 or more is met on test levels. The 100 and 400 are just numbers I pulled out of the air, no meaning whatsoever.

The problem with the manure spreader and poultry manure is that you have a lot higher nutrient levels in poultry manure, compared to cattle or hog manure. If you just spread the poultry manure at this kind of rate, the levels will just jump through the roof.

NR
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)