AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn fert.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/1/2007 22:44 (#196858 - in reply to #195992)
Subject: RE: corn fert. - strip till options

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Carson,

If you are going into wheat stubble, I owuld take all of the liquids you talking about and put them thru the center ("mixed-in") tube on our Dawn Pluribus and run it this fall. Mixing those thru the strip 8" wide by and 5-6" total height would greatly reduce the salt issues compared to in furrow on the planter.

I would not put a lot of N down in the fall. You could either run nthe Pluribus over these strips agin in the spring applying your full shot (100 units N?) of Urea (if you can wait 4-7 days between stripping and planting to be safe). Or if your planter is already equipped for liquid and you do not want to run the strip till machine again in these same strips, put your N down as 32 gal or so of 28% on the planter - 3x3 if you can get there.

If you are going into bean stubble or corn on corn then just put everything down with the Pluribus as liquid in the center tubes and either 28/32% along the one side or Urea blown and mixed. I would try to do this at least a couple days ahead of the planter. This will be a very efficient use of all fertilizers and will probably allow you to put down much less N than you have been. IF you use fall NH3 in ND are you sure you are going to be able to get it all done?

Lots of options with strip till. One of the beauties of spring strip till is that it allows you to get ALL fertilizer off of the planter - when time temp and calendar say plant corn you can plnat corn - not nurse a fertilizer bar. You will almost always get a chance to strip till ahead of the planter by a couple weeks to a couple days. If not just run them in the same field at the same time and maybe cut back on your N a little bit applying the balance later. Depends on soil conditions. IF it is wet and you can stay on the center of the strip then you may be able to still go full shot. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)