AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn In Mi. and compaction in a drought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nayrgro
Posted 8/20/2007 01:26 (#190015)
Subject: Corn In Mi. and compaction in a drought

Tekonsha Mi.
Well I have been in most of my fields and it is a weird year here. I got started planting in the last week of April and finished the third week of may. We had good moister till June than no rain till August. I July we had plenty of 100+ days and our pollination got hurt on some corn it is looking like our longer day corn like DC 61-45 (111 day) the pollination is not good at all on my last yield count we have had 50 long by 18 around at 32,000 harvest able ears/a but to poor population the ear is tipped back to 30 long. Now in our earlier corn pollination is much better what I have found there is more like 40 long by 16 around with 31000 harvest able ears. That is on my farm I rip all my ground once every three years and when I chisel I run spikes as deep as possible and it paid huge this year I have looked at other farmers fields that do not take compaction for the yield killer that it is. Over the past few years we have had adequate rain fall and yields have been good all around I could see small benefits to me tillage practices. But this year has really separated the good farmers from the not so good ones and it shows from the road.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)