AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever made a calf a steer and wish you hadn't?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/11/2011 23:19 (#2046098 - in reply to #2045541)
Subject: Re: Ever made a calf a steer and wish you hadn't?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I appreciate the above comments. I agree that the bull is usually the place to bring in outside genetics. I have had very good luck with Huth bulls in my system.

Yet a bull from my best (=has the traits that are particulaly important to me) cow and a good outside bull should often be better than either of his parents shouldn't he? I've done this once already with what appear to be good results so far. Working with my neighbor we can separate the cows so the retained bull does not breed any related females.  The hope is to transfer some of the desireable traits of his dam such as always weaning a calf over 50% of her own weight, her moderate 1200lb frame size and her calving ease etc to some of the other female lines in the herd.

I would retain those heifers and breed them back to my outside genetics registered bull.  One of the advantages of a small herd (and computer records) is that it is possible to keep close track and control over bloodlines  to improve the herd.  A real big drawback to retaining a homegrown bull is the time it takes.

And yes, he is making a very good steer. A drawback to the 4H approach is I am looking forward to seeing what the yield and quality of this steer is being processed off of grazing corn in April...

Thanks.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/11/2011 23:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)