AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Out with the old in with the new remodel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 11/6/2011 11:17 (#2036015 - in reply to #2035540)
Subject: RE: Out with the old in with the new remodel

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I put in the Osborne scale system back in the fall of 2004 in my 1200 finisher. Is it the perfect solution, no, would I do it again, probably. I don't use it to it's full potential meaning I don't make them go through the scales at about 100 lbs. like I used to. Now they have free range of the whole barn until about 2-3 weeks before they are ready to market. I love it for sorting hogs & so does my wife. I have had zero help loading out hogs including my wife ( which she really loves ) since 2004. Between the trucker taking the hogs at the truck entrance & myself we can very easily load a semi load ( 185-200 hd) in under 40 minutes. I never use a shocker just a paddle & I instruct my truckers if they want to use a buzzer not to buzz the hogs but do alow them to buss the ceiling to make some noise. I use a great trucker that I know my death loss & downers is so low I know I can count on one hand how many I have loss in transit since 2004. This is why I refuse to pay for insurance when I sell my hogs to packers. I know I am thousands of dollars ahead for not paying for insurance on trasportation.

The one true downside of scales are wear & tear on the scales. Hogs ARE hard on scales. This is the one reason why I don't make them go through them at an earlier age. I am deffinetly putting more money back into them to keep them working. Will I ever go back to sorting hogs manually again, absolutly not. If I had alot of labor sources to choose from I might consider it, that was hard to find before & I know from experiance this isn't gettnig easier. I do think the larger pens & having alleys to hold the hogs prior to market would be nice but I'd sure hate to do it in my one man operation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)