AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Livestock Guard dogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 10/31/2011 08:50 (#2027287 - in reply to #2026997)
Subject: Re: Livestock Guard dogs

We have had sheep in the past and now have goats. We have gotten Marrema or Marrema crosses. Pyrennes like to roam large areas. I can't say for sure because we haven't had any. We did talk to a breeder before who had both Pyrennes and Marremas for sale and if you have a limited area there are other breeds that are a better fit. They told me Pyrennes protect an area and some of the others like AkBash, Marrema, Komondoor protect the animals. Some breeds are better with people and kids. That was the three reasons we got the Marremas- smaller area of travel, better with people and kids. I think the breeds that protect the animals are better than the ones that do the area because they are easier to move from area to area. I say that because if the dogs find an opening those that protect the area they will roam farther out while those that stay near the animals stay wherever they are. I can say they work for us. First year I had sheep at the farm we live on now, I lost over half my lamb crop. Second year I purchased one 3/4 Maremma-1/4 pyrennes and lost no animals to predators. Knock on wood, since I have gotten an LGD we have not lost any. Our main problems are coyotes with a few bobcats. Like others say, you need to acclimate them to other animals while they are young. I would agree with other poster about feeding and commanding them. They are not obedient dogs which you don't want that anyway; you want them to think for themselves and figure out how best to protect your animals. I had one dog that he felt the best way was that when he felt danger was around to chase all the animals into their shelter and then guard the entryway. After a few times, the sheep learned what he was doing and they would go on their own when his bark changed tones. The two dogs I have now work as a team. One will sit in the center of the animals and bark while the other scouts the perimeter for the threat. Two dogs work better than one especially with coyotes who will use one coyote to try to lure the dog away while the others in the pack attack. A good dog that protects animals rather than area will try to stay in the middle of the animals until the threat is closing in. Your animals will learn the LGD are protection and will learn their barks and actions. Soon they will prefer to have the dog with them!! A good dog will act kind of goofy to you or aloof as they call it. They will be submissive to your animals and almost act scared like which helps make the animals at ease with them. They will act like this with you too sometimes. Like the other poster said there are good ones and bad ones- some have the instinct and others do not. If you get a young dog you may have to correct them on playing with the animals but it seems like around 2 years of age if they got the instinct they really start to come into their job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)