AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High headed Calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ttop
Posted 10/28/2011 12:12 (#2023460 - in reply to #2022008)
Subject: Re: High headed Calves

scky
I believe that all of you are somewhat right, heredity from the bull or dam is carried over to the calf, people make a huge difference, and the moon phases have something to do with it, whether it be the atmospheric conditions at the time or what but I believe it makes a difference. We worked the first group of calves last Tuesday, never had a group that did better, son said the stars were aligned up or something.
I have found a sack of feed about a week in advance for 2 or 3 days before catching will help move more cattle that a host of people and dogs combined. JMO have a good day ttop

This was taken from a study called: The Way I See It, by Temple Grandin.
I have watched my calves and it applies almost 100%.

The brain forms in the fetus at the same time as skin and hair. In our lab at Colorado State University, we provided the first scientifically documented evidence of a relationship between hair whorl positions on the forehead in cattle and differences in temperament. Horsemen have also observed a casual relationship between the position of hair whorls on a horse's forehead and temperament. A hair whorl positioned high above the eyes is said to be related to a flighty temperament.
Cattle also have hair whorls on the forehead similar to horses. We conducted research on hair whorl positions and temperament in cattle because it was easy to find large numbers of cattle with similar genetics and similar early experiences. In a study of 1,500 cattle at a commercial feedlot, we found that cattle with hair whorls above the eyes fought more in a squeeze chute during vaccinations, and were clearly more frightened by restraint compared to cattle Selecting Whole Animals
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)