AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do you always get the call...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 10/6/2011 00:21 (#1992609 - in reply to #1992509)
Subject: Re: Why do you always get the call...

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
We sold a tractor on the internet and a guy from Germany bought it, but he backed out when he found out that it was going to cost 4 times as much to get it from here to NewJersey than it was going to cost from NewJersey to Germany. I kinda wish railroads didn't exist right now because if they didn't corn would be worth about 10 a bushel around here. But luckly, those 110 car trains are starting to roll in with cheap corn from the I states (which includes Minnesota, everyone knows Minnesota is a I state)
What time does your dew usually come on out there. Do you get any Santa Anna winds to keep things from getting too wet too fast. I was in the night alfalfa baling buisness for about 3 years but its hard to do alot when the dew comes on about 10 at night and hay is testing 18 by 1030 and 30% by eleven. For that reason I learned to let other people grow alfalfa and Ill grow the grass hay.
I had a grand master plan at one time when the horse market was real good. We were trying to put up small bales but they were still too heavy for the average lady with horses and it was very hard to bale quicky with 14x18 balers, SOOOO I tryed a 3 tie baler (freeman 370) and a 1048 wagon for a while and my plan was to build two sets of needles and make the knotters cycle 4 times per bale, with the center needle feeding the notters every time. I was trying to make a 120 pound bale(held together by the two outer strings) that had 4 packages(held together with the center string) of 40lbs within it. Then I could sell bales that the customer could break apart and handle in small bundles (Kinda like that big krone baler that came out a couple years ago)
Plus we thought we could hall hay just as quickly out of the field in that manner instead of going with a big baler and then never having time to repackage it. (really we could get a 1048 with a bad clutch much cheaper than we could get equipment rounded up to haul big bales)
But both the baler and wagon I aquired were junk (the 1048 made my junky 1049 look like a showroom special) and it was hard to sell people/stores on the concept because nobody around here knows what a 3 tie is, let alone one that is divided into four smaller bales. Plus I never could afford the hay squeeze or hay flats And then the horse/hobby hay market went south, And I sold all my junk and got myself a cheap 4x4 so I could get quick sales to local dairys, and then I quit raising alfalfa. and orchardgrass. O well, Maybe some day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)