AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving cows north???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 10/4/2011 11:59 (#1990423 - in reply to #1988792)
Subject: RE: Moving cows north???

about 15 years ago, my neighbor bought a bunch of 'eared' cows. 6 or 7 hundred. brought em up here to north central nebraska. I think he got em about this time of year too.... and they were showing 3 ribs. He dumped them out on cornstalks, and very little hay. when the snow melted, there were hundreds of dead to be piled up. Now, I would be first to say that winter was pretty tough for the average, and the 'cowboys' he had to deal with were not the brightest bulb one could hire either.

I was always taught to move the cows to the feed, and not haul the feed to the cows..... and this is a pretty tough decision to make. Are they worth more to you 'hanging' on a hook, to be replaced in a few years, when it starts to rain.... or take the chance and place them out. Where would you go in the spring? we are probably past due to 'dry out' here.... been way above average here last 2 summers. That could change in a hurry. Historically, you could move the cows 'once'. (to greener pastures)..... but that cow will never pay for the return trip.

sure, if you feed plenty of energy feeds, (corn or high fat distillers grain) anything will 'survive' here. but what is it gonna cost? You better have a super sharp pencil, and figure the total cost... trucking, death loss, abortion loss due to stress.. you planning to calve out up here? when are they due? last week in Feb can be brutal here.

If I was faced with your situation, I would sell the cows, keep all the heifer calves and start over. weigh ups are still pretty good money, for now that is. that window may close pretty quick though.
Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)