AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Friend called and said my cows looked horriable.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 10/2/2011 16:05 (#1988059 - in reply to #1987916)
Subject: Re: Friend called and said my cows looked horriable.

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
Lost a few, warmed a bunch that were froze to the ground. They never seemed to catch up when they got better. We didn't lose a horriable amount durning that stretch of sub zero weather. But Ive never worked that hard in my life. Sometimes its not how much you lose, its how hard you had to work to keep things "normal" I remember sleeping on my parents floor, because I got in at 2 or 3 in the morning one morning and I hadn't been home in so long that the fire was out and the house was about 15 degrees. So I just went to there house and slepped on there floor until sunup.
Im so ready for 2012.

We had the same problem. We bought some quarter jersey quarter hereford half angus heifers from a guys that was weaning steer mates that weighted 850 pounds. We really thought we had something But after a couple years those cows milked worse than an old skinny black cow with a tight udder.

Now we just play around alot with our own genetics because its so hard to breed for feedlot performance and replacements at the same time. We use angus bulls on the F1 heifers and we still have some registerd angus cows that we breed to angus bulls to get some straight black replacements.
Thats the problem we are worried about with the "Polled Black herefords" they are almost too easy to use; they make great f1s (if you can call them that a lot of our black cows are mixed up) with no reds or horns, and are easy to use over and over again and are making great cattle right now, and its easy to keep getting black baldy calves with black baldy cows, but eventually the angus is gone and its time to start over again.
How did your stock fair through the heat BigSquare?

Edited by mcupps 10/2/2011 16:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)