AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim@ Dawn...Hereford meat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/6/2011 16:39 (#1949347 - in reply to #1948288)
Subject: RE: Jim@ Dawn...Hereford meat

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Because of the trends of recent years, I think there are probably a lot more black cows and cattle in feedlots than there are Hereford cows and cattle in feedlots. This probably has an effect on what is available to restaurants. It will take a long time before there is any significant change to that given the time required to change anything in the beef business. But I do think consumers will be open to more variety in the beef they buy in the future.

I would also hazard a guess that Herefords are more likely to have been on grass longer and corn for a shorter time than Angus

Personally I think Angus and Herefords are both good beef breeds. They do have different characteristics. However as far as being able to tell the difference between two steaks on a plate, I believe strongly that how they are raised and fed especially finished has much more bearing on the taste and texture of the steak than what color the hide was.

I have learned the hard way that finishing them and age at processing makes a huge difference in the quality of the beef on the plate. How it is cooked also can ruin even good beef. 

I had a feeling this thread was going to turn into a Hereford vs Angus thread. I am a beef lover. I don't care what the color of the hide was. The reason I like Herefords is they have certain characteristics which lend themselves to my particular low-input system.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 9/6/2011 16:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)