AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Last weeks of steers grazing corn (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/2/2011 15:40 (#1704533 - in reply to #1704523)
Subject: Re: Last weeks of steers grazing corn (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Yes that is my plan.  Some of the cows are really starting to lactate and would like anything in addition to the boring hay and mineral they have been on since early November.

I bet the cows will really clean that up ahead of spring strip tilling.  It is a balancing act to not leave too much nor to little grazing corn for the steers. I was going to open up an older corn paddock to the cows today but I have a few purchased heifers that will not be calving for 30 days or so and sure don't want their calves getting too big from the corn that was  under the snow in the last paddock. 

I think I will wait another week yet before letting the cow/heifer group on the remnant stalks. I am still experimenting.

Re-looking at the above pictures myself I am reminded that this couple weeks is the only time of the year when I have last years calves (on grazing corn) and some of the new calf crop on my place at the same time and can walk from one group to the other to takle pictures.

I am looking forward to taking the steer group to the processors so I can focus on the new calves and season coming up.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/2/2011 15:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)