AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling private treaty slaughter cattle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bob1968
Posted 3/31/2011 09:54 (#1700650 - in reply to #1700084)
Subject: RE: Selling private treaty slaughter cattle?

Sell all my cattle direct to customer and delivered to custom butcher. I set the price at the most recent auction live weight price where I'd sell them if not sold direct. I figure I get a premium for quality due to no shrinkage and no commission as I load them directly out of the feedlot and weight them 1/2 mile down the road at the fertilizer dealer. If it wasn't so easy to get the live weight and the auction price I'd use the dressed weight but the few I've checked do vary by 5-6%. I usually deliver 3-6 at a time 45 miles to the butcher. My other option would be hauling 8 at a time 120 miles to the nearest decent auction so I don't charge extra for delivery. Delivery is just a cost of doing business. Customer pays butcher and picks up meat. If I think there might be a problem with payment, I've got about a month between delivery and when the meat is ready and I can have butcher hold the meat longer. Payment hasn't been an issue because I generally know who I'm dealing with, most are repeat customers, and new customers are usually by referral from existing customers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)