AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull longevity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 2/20/2011 01:09 (#1624126 - in reply to #1623362)
Subject: RE: Bull longevity

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Depends on your country. Guys out on desert or mountain range are going to only get a few seasons out of them. Them and the cows have to cover a lot of rough country. Pasture bulls might go a long time. We bought a yearling red angus bull in 2003, he was still in good shape when the people I sold him to got rid of him last year. Never been off pasture or drylot.

Got a five year old bull that is in great shape, still here but is sold for $2500. He's only been used to cover AI'd cows in the purebred herd. Easy life, good bull still in great shape. I thought I did good selling him for that price, until the cattle boss (wife) informed me she'd found the replacement. $6000 for a part interest, splitting it with a friend who is collecting semen from it. And the damn thing is in Montana... I'm guessing I've got a fast trip to Montana and back in my future... ;) Lot of money, but we are not using it on commercial cows.

We sold some bulls at a sale a while back, and I'll admit the yearling weights were only middle of the road, nothing special. But they've only been fed long hay. Finish them out on grain to get big weights and have them look pretty for a sale, and they're going to break down quicker. Not what guys around here need.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)