AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer stiffened up this morning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rufframs
Posted 1/17/2011 09:26 (#1554078 - in reply to #1553722)
Subject: Re: Steer stiffened up this morning

When I thought one of my animals had it a few years ago I had to send the head to the state vet lab. I was more concerned that the animal might have had rabies and I had been drenching it without gloves. The lab said they could examine the brain for rabies and should check for listeria while they were at it since some of the clinical signs are similar. I know they need the brain for a rabies determination and the vet implied the same for listeriosis, so, maybe check with a vet to see if other tests are available.
I was always told that if they have the neurological form of listeriosis that it won't spread from animal to animal, but that doesn't help if you don't know the on-farm source. By the way, you can take that for what it's worth.
In my state, PA, everything going to the state lab is suppose to go through a vet. Also, you might want to see if it's a reportable disease in your state, that's something that may help you decide how you want to proceed.
One more thing I thought of, when you use the Vitamin B injection, if it's the B complex it has to be the fortified version. That gives 100 mg./ml of Thiamine, prescription Thiamine is 200mg./ml so if you're using the off the shelf fortified vitamin B you have to double the dosage - and give it everyday - to get the same result. So, depending on the dose you gave it, you might not be able to rule out polio.

ETA: Meant to say I would give it for five days not "everyday."

Edited by CmLB-SWPA 1/17/2011 10:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)