AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4-H calves weighed in at
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ksbee
Posted 1/14/2011 16:24 (#1549024 - in reply to #1548989)
Subject: Re: 4-H calves weighed in at

NE Kansas
It's been quite a few years since I've shown steers so I'm not exactly sure what the judges are looking for these days. Obvisouly, frame size has a lot to do with finish weight. I had a few long legged/bodied chi's that would probably finish out around 1,400 lbs. My smaller framed Angus X steers usually finished out around 1,250. I had a few Gelbvieh X's that would finish out around 1,300. Rate of gain was normally around 3 lbs/day average. We didn't keep them in refridgerated stalls back then so I sometimes had some weight loss when it got hot. I always hated it when I couldn't get that last finish put on over the tail head. Back when I showed (and judged on the college circuit) the whole grooming for big hair was just starting to show up. I can't believe the effort and $$ spent these days to make sure beef has a winter coat in the middle of August. They're pretty, but in my mind a beef show is about producing an animal that would be good for the packer and consumer, not a beauty contest.

Anyway, as others have said you might want to slow down on the feed, they're heavy for this time of year, unless you're going to hit some spring shows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)