AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Battery acid and cows bad thing happened
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 1/11/2011 10:43 (#1541350 - in reply to #1540117)
Subject: Re: Battery acid and cows bad thing happened

nw NC
Quite a few years ago my vet told of a dairy he served where some cows were poisoned. It was corn planting time and someone had carried bags of Furadan to the field in the loader bucket. Did not need one of the bags , so went back to farm . Employee used tractor to load silage into mixer and feed was put in bunk. Cows went to feed bunk as they were milked. Someone noticed cows beginning to stagger and collapse. Owner came and immediately knew what happened when he saw bits of purple and white paper in the feed. Don't know how many he lost , as they kept the rest of herd away from feed bunk. Another time a herd of about 150 was killed in Eastern N.C. due to insecticide poisoning. I do not know whether that one was accidental or deliberate sabotage. A neighbor of mine had 25 or so Holstein heifers that were affected with ringworm . He got some treatment material for the ringworm , mixed a big batch of it in his his tractor mounted field sprayer after having rinsed the sprayer . Sprayed the solution on the heifers with a hand held nozzle and hose. Shortly afterward heifers began staggering and collapsed with convulsions . Got vet quickly and used atropine on them , but lost six. The sprayer had been used to apply a soil insecticide to tobacco fields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)