AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Winter pictures of the cows (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/19/2010 10:47 (#1494474 - in reply to #1494169)
Subject: RE: Winter pictures of the cows (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Your question gets me thinking.

I think of a hobby as something you do for enjoyment with no regard for profit. But since I am not independently wealthy, these cattle do need to turn a profit.

I do very much enjoy raising cattle, however, after the initial investment/startup costs (fencing, waterers, corral, purchased base stock) are paid I do intend to make a profit selling freezer beef. There is some initial investment in starting with cattle just like most other worthwhile businesses. I do think it is possible to raise good beef with a only modest investment if you start slowly and use some different methods.

If prices for an 1100 lb Hereford steer ever get to $1.30 then I may regularly sell some as "fats" at Bloomington.  But I am not holding my breath on that one. Right now my limited output goes for freezer beef.

Cattle provide a way to market the corn I raise as part of our strip till development work. I am also learning about cattle which I as an ag machinery guy have not had much first hand experience with in the past. My good friend and long-time neighbor got me started in these, I think he wanted me to keep my grass down better....

Overall I guess cattle are both a hobby (provide enjoyment) and a "side business" (will turn a profit) which will have a higher rate of return than the pitiful interest being paid on bank savings these days. I also tell my wife that cattle are cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 12/19/2010 13:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)