AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Heifer barn manure storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 12/16/2010 14:19 (#1489409 - in reply to #1489318)
Subject: Re: Dairy Heifer barn manure storage

Manitoba
In the past we have had a heifer facility as you are describing. We have since put freestalls in. the answer is (as so often is the case) it depends.

I did not see where you are at but climate will impact the consistency of the manure. In hot dry weather and depending on stocking rates the manure will be fairly dry but when things were real wet out and if we had lots of animals in the pens (an advantage of the bedding pack is you can push the numbers if needed) then it will wet.(not stackable) Also how much you bed will impact things a lot as well. Here in winter the manure was always frozen so that was no problem then for a stack pad.

If $ is not an object a drive in mini pit will have you covered for whatever you can throw at it. I have seen guys bed the alleys somewhat to try and make stuff stackable but If I was going to do it again and could swing the cost I would go with a drive in pit, You might try a small mini drive in pit and also have a stack pad to try and reduce cost and still be able to handle the times when things are liquid.

Keep in mind if you ever think you might switch to freestalls for the heifers you would be better to do something that could handle liquid.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)