AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making the best use of the feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NoTill1825
Posted 12/15/2010 09:06 (#1486997)
Subject: Making the best use of the feed

NC Indiana
stuffs I have on hand. Seeing all the talk below about feed cost and different feed stuffs and this beings this is my 2nd season for cattle, I would appreciate you input on my feeding program. I have on hand 1st cutting alf/orchardgrass baleage (big sq's), wheatlage bales (big sq's), 3rd cutting hay off the above field (big sq's), 4th cutting (little sq's), shelled corn (in bin and on grain bank at feedmill). 26 bred cows (march/april calves) on 30 ac's of stalks (3-4 inches of snow on them), feeding 2 bales of wheatlage every day plus 6-5 gal buckets of a cracked corn/ddg mix I get bulk delivered from the local feedmill. I'll trade out one of the wheatlage bales for a alf/orh baleage every 3rd day, and they have free choice on a Big 6 mineral block. 8 replacement heifers plus the steer w/ the broken leg from my ealier post going 6-700#'s get 3 bucket of the corn/ddg's/day and free choice on the alf/orch baleage. 5 colored and 2 holstein steers (4-H calves - mid July fair) are getting 5 buckets of a corn/cottonseed hull/ddg/oat/34 pellet mixed w/ molasses plus 3 presses of alf/orch baleage every day and a press of 3rd cutting hay ever every 3rd day. Steers and heifers are on dirt lots. Thoughts? Area's of improvement?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)